Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Following Our Passions

When I met Steve, we were both education majors. I was focusing on elmentary education and he was focused on music education. Since he was 14 years old, Steve has paid for all of his music lessons and equipment himself. It has always been his passion. Once he got to his student teaching however, he found out that teaching was not his passion.

For a few years he worked factory jobs until he decided to go back to school for computer science. That is now his profession, but still not his passion. His passion is still guitar.

Steve has been in several different bands, but trying to find people you are compatible with that also are willing to make a committment to band practices and communication can be difficult. So, about a year ago Steve decided to do a one man band. He now plays guitar and sings on his own.

I am not a musical person at all. In fact, I am freakishly not musical. Generally in the car, it is quiet unless someone asks to turn on the radio. I have no particular preference to any type of music. However, when Steve practices on the weekends, I absolutely love it. Not only do I like the sound of his voice and guitar but I love that at 43 years old he is still following his passion. I am extremly proud when friends and family come to his gigs and hear him play.

The philosophy of life we both share for our children is that they follow their passions and share the unique individual gifts they have with others. Steve is not only going to work daily to provide for us, but he is coming home and living the dream we have for our children. He does not let obstacles get in his way. I love this about him.

To hear Steve, visit his site.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's just fabulous that you and Steve have "followed your bliss" and worked it so that "bliss" also means making a decent living. It's harder than it looks, I know. I took a listen at Steve's website, by the way. He's VERY good!

    Is it difficult to teach English as a second language? I took German that way, in Germany, many years ago. It was basically a full-immersion class, and the students were from all over the world. While I was pretty bewildered at first, I ended up learning more in that class than in any of the other, more conventional German classes I took over the years. Is EASL similar?

    Anyway, glad to hear you're feeling SO much better, and hoping that it stays that way for you. Enjoy walking the dog!
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wren,
    ESL (English as a Second Language) does sound similiar to what you experienced in Germany. We have students from all over the world so everything is taught in English. I wouldn't say it is difficult but does require some creativity. I try to provide a lot of practice through hands on activities to group projects. My degree is in elementary education with an endorsement in ESL. When I taught 5th grade for several years, a large number of my students were also ESL. I really enjoy this group of people.

    Thanks for listening to Steve. He is even more awesome in person. Maybe sometime if you are in the Chicago area. :)
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete