Tuesday, December 22, 2015

What's Not Moving Is Just as Important as What is Moving

Since my bilateral hip injections in September, my hips have been inflexible.Sitting on the floor cross-legged, which I love, has been a struggle for my hips. When squatting down to help a student, my hips feel like they don't want to move with me. After walking for a while I feel my hips tightening up even more. So, I decided to start doing something about it.  For me, it has been Pilates videos and after a few weeks, I'm already noticing a difference.

One morning while doing a video, the instructor said something along the lines of, "What's not moving is just as important as what is moving." Yes! That's so true for rheumatoid arthritis too. So many times when we are flaring, that joint(s) that isn't moving gets 100% of our attention. We forget that our body is an amazing machine that is always working to balance us out. Some days are really hard and we have several joints that won't cooperate, but if we look hard, we can always find a joint that is still moving. It is still trying hard to provide for us. I'll admit that finding the positive in our bodies is a skill that takes time to learn, but like Pilates, the more we do it, the stronger we get at it. What's moving in your body today?  

No comments:

Post a Comment